Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Laundry Tips... (part 1)

Laundry!!! --The task so many dread!! But I don't!!! I never have. In fact I LOVE it!! Strange I know... and I don't know why or how that came about. I do know it was one of my primary jobs growing up, the oldest of 6 children. And I always found a joy and fulfillment in it. Maybe it was in part because I got 'alone time' to think by myself in the basement, and hanging clothes on the wash line. My siblings would never offer to help me.:)

I think it is Very rewarding to wash the mounds and mounds of dirty, smelly wash. And then to pull the damp, clean smelling clothes from the washer. I love hanging them on the line-that snap, snapping sound they make when shaking them sharply to get all the wrinkles out that you can. I love hanging things orderly, by catergory and by owners. I don't know why, but I love looking at wash that goes from big to small. Or small to big. I love taking down the wash that has hung out all day, in the refreshing breezes of summer. And being able to bury my nose in the soft folds of the clean wash, taking a deep, deep sniff of that awesome smell, that you can only get from hanging things outside!!

I have tried many things and ways over the years, for doing laundry... Including set days for washing or doing a load or two everyday. And I have discovered each has a benefit and each works, but on conditions. While growing up, our wash machine and drier was in the basement. We did wash 2x a week. After I got married my washer was outside my bedroom door (in a trailer), so I did wash whenever there was enough for a load. We moved in '05, and my washer was in the basement. Doing a load a day or so, just did not work for me!! I would throw a load in, then in the busyness of the day, forget it was down there. I soon learnt that it was easier to have a set day for washing. I knew I was always to be changing wash that morning. Then, the summer of '08, we moved again.

Now my wash is on my main floor again. (I must say that is the BEST place to have your washer.) And I have tried washing both ways again. And I really don't mind either way. I discovered that it does work better to wash more often in the summer, and only 2/3 days a week in the winter. My boys go through a lot of clothes in the summer, being on a farm they can dirty a set VERY fast!! So right now for the winter I wash Tues. and Fri. Then on Sat. I do whatever odds and ends might be floating around, and clothes we may need for Sunday. I wash towels whenever there is a load. And sheets one day a week-whenever it best suits me. But I am to do it on Mondays. And I love folding the wash- and putting it away. I don't know what it is, but something about seeing those stacks of clean laundry... is VERY rewarding!!!

Linked to It Works-for-Me!!!
 *Stay tuned... for the next few weeks I plan to share more tips-making Homemade Laundry Soap-for pennies a load, how to save on fabric softner-liquid and sheets...and other ways of saving.

3 comments:

  1. If I was ever going to have a house built to my specs (in my dreams) I would also have a laundry room on the main floor--or at least the same floor as the bedrooms. I don't know why this isn't standard!
    I love hanging clothes on the line. It's just so relaxing, it looks pretty (especially aprons) and it smells good. I can't wait until it's warm enough to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to remember God gave me the clothes to care for in the first place and thank Him for them and the ability to clean them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love laundry too!! It is the organizer in me - love to see things sorted, folded, stacked, and put away!

    I love that you have the word "steward" in your bio! It is the concept that our entire blog is built upon! I love that you too are striving be a great steward of the resources the Lord has given! I'd love for you to drop by my blog sometime! I'm your newest follower from Friday Follow!

    http://savingsandstewardship.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete