Friday, June 11, 2010

Garden Tea

There is nothing so refreshing as a tall glass of ice cold, freshly made, mint tea!! And I am so thankful to have an established tea bed here. Freshly made tea on a warm summer day... what could be better?? Not much. But it is great having tea all winter too. 
I use to dry the stuff. But it always took a while, it took up room and was messy. A cousin gave me a wonderful tip. Just freeze them. When they are frozen, they crumble up nicely and you can keep smashing them down and adding more to the bag as you go. It's amazing how much you can get in a bag. I had 2- 1 1/2 gallon size- bags, and that is what I am still using now. It lasted me ALL winter. So I have a feeling I will have plenty again this year.
My very willing 'Harvester'.
Full laundry basket and that's only half of it.
You can just cut the stems, throw in a bag and freeze that way. But I don't like all the stems, as they don't crumble into such little pieces to fit in my tea maker. So I just strip the leaves off the stems, which is really easy. I pick off any bad leaves, then hold it about an inch or two from the top and pull down. Most times it works great, but the longer the stems sit, the limper they get. And some stems are just plain weak. I don't wash my leaves either. Just stuff them in a bag and freeze. It works wonderfully. And it's great being able to make refreshing tea, all winter long.

Linked to Finer Things.
               Feel Good Friday

2 comments:

  1. MMM... think I'll go make some tea! :) just realized why you wouldn't want the stems n they don't bother me, I don't use a tea maker. I just do it on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You remind me of some fuzzy apple mint that used to grow in my garden in NY. I wish I had that growing now. I liked to make iced tea with black tea and add some mint to it, and lots of lemon.

    Your pictures are so enticingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete