Monday, June 14, 2010

Benefits of Vinegar

Another 'Laundry Tips' Post.

I've been wanting to do another 'Laundry' post. But it always seems to get pushed off. Or I have something else I'd rather post. So today I'm going to do another one. (Not sure how many more I'll have.)

A while ago I started using Vinegar as my liquid Fabric Softener. And it works wonderfully!!! I read about it here.

Get cleaner laundry! Add about 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar to the last rinse. The acid in white distilled vinegar is too mild to harm fabrics, yet strong enough to dissolve the alkalies in soaps and detergents. Besides removing soap, white distilled vinegar prevents yellowing, acts as a fabric softener and static cling reducer, and attacks mold and mildew.


 And then later I read somewhere, but forget just where right now, how it works to not have to use fabric softener/anti-static sheets in your dryer, if you use Vinegar in your rinse water when washing. So I tried it, and YES, it WORKS!!! I have not purchased any dryer sheets for along time now. And I NEVER have any static in my clothes when I dry in the dryer.

My washer has a cup holder for putting the liquid fabric softener in, so I just put 1/2c. or so in of Vinegar, fill the rest of the way with water, and let it come out when it is suppose to. -During the rinse cycle.-

Did you know the lint in your lint traps, on your dryer, are bits of your clothes being chewed up by the dryer?? I never really gave it much thought before a man came to our place to do a water test and we were talking about our water and the hardness, ect. And he was saying how a dryer actually is very hard on our clothes.

So hanging your clothes to dry is the best thing to do. For one it saves wear and tear on them, (They get enough wear and tear just by being worn.) in the winter it adds much needed moisture to the air, and it will save you lots of $$ by not using your dryer. And less you think I only wash on sunny days, and never use my dryer anymore!!! Remember-we are FARMERS!! We have to do wash on an almost daily basis, I don't have that option.

::More benefits of Vinegar in your Laundry Room::
  • Keep bright colors from running. Soak clothes in full strength Vinegar for 10 minutes before washing.
  • Get stained white socks and dingy dishcloths white again. Add 1 cup white distilled vinegar to a large pot of water, bring it to a rolling boil and drop in the articles. Let soak overnight. (I haven't tried this one, but I want to.)

  • Attack spaghetti, barbecue, or ketchup stains with a white distilled vinegar and water solution.
  • Forgot that you left wet laundry in the machine and it now smells moldy? Pour a few cups of white distilled vinegar in the machine and wash the clothes in hot water. Then run a normal cycle with detergent.
  • Eliminate manufacturing chemicals from new clothes by adding 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar to the water.
  • Remove deodorant stains by lightly rubbing with vinegar then washing as usual.
    It works great for me. What ways have you found to use it in your Laundry Room??

    You can find more tips and uses here.
    1001 Uses for Distilled White Vinegar
    131 Uses for Vinegar

    You can use vinegar for MANY more things then just the laundry room!!! Just google it and you will be amazed at the things you can fine. From weed killers to being used as a medicine.

    3 comments:

    1. I have recently started using vinegar in the wash too!
      I am trying to find alternatives for chemicals.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for stopping by. I have been making my own laundry soap for almost a year now. And I really like it. You'll find the link for it under my pages under 'Natural Products for Home and Body'. Blessings to you as you make these changes. They are not always easiest, but it helps to know it is for the best!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love using vinegar in the laundry. It's great for clothes that got wet and dried slowly when not so clean (like when you get caught in the rain and have to keep wearing those jeans all day...) and develop a "wet dog" smell that can persist through normal washing: Soak the clothes overnight in half white vinegar and half hot water, then put in the washing machine for a rinse and spin (it actually works better if you do NOT wash with soap at this point) and hang up to dry; the smell will go away completely! Vinegar also gets out the smell of stale smoke if you've been among smokers or around a fire, or if you buy used clothes that came from a smoker's household.

      I am a big fan of line-drying, too!

      I also use vinegar to wash my hair.

      Thanks for the 1,132 tips!!

      ReplyDelete