Saturday, March 13, 2010

Laundry Tips#3-Stain Removers


Stains Originally uploaded by :Bron:
Yesterday, I once again had some stubborn stains to remove. This time from my Hubby's worn-only-once-before-new shirt. After doing my normal 'Spray & Wash', he was quick to inform me it hadn't come out. So I knew it was time for some harder work... A trick my sister showed me last summer.

She had sprayed a stubborn old stained on my skirt and left it sit an hour or so. Then she proceeded to scrub at it with her finger/thumb nails. And I was shocked to see it come right out. It took a bit of time, but not much. (It had been there for so long... why didn't I know it sooner. It was a favorite skirt of mine.)

So I did it with the shirt. And yes, it took a bit to do, but I think I got it all out now.:)

My favorite stain removing spray is 'Shout', I haven't found anything that will get kids stains out like it. I am open to finding something better-less toxic, but until then that will do. We go through a lot of clothes, and with 3 boys taking a turn, they are wearing out. (Boys are super hard on jeans!!)

My favorite degreaser is 'Mean Green'. My Mom always used that stuff on my Dad and brother's clothes. They worked in the woods and on equipment, so would come home quite greasy and grimy a lot of days!! But I have found that I don't need to use it real often with my own Homemade Laundry Soap.

And did you know Hairspray works great at removing ink from fabric?? Try it!!! You'll be pleasantly surpised!!

If you have any good stain removers or tips to share, please post them in the comments. I'd love to learn more too!!

2 comments:

  1. I have a little outfit that I tried spray and wash on today. I'm doubtful the stain will come out, though. Thanks for the tip on scrubbing it with your fingernail- I may give that a try too. Have you ever tried Oxy Clean? We've never bought it, but I've wondered whether that works very well or not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried Oxy Clean. Baby stains are very hard to get out!! I forgot one thing my mom used to do-that would take out stubborn/old stains. It might be worth a try, I don't have a dishwasher, so never keep the soap on hand. You take a bucket of hot water, and add 1/2 cup liquid Cascade dishwasher soap and some bleach. And let soak overnight or so. But do be careful it can bleach it. And talking to Mom about it, she said you need to be careful, with dark colors it will bleach it out. So do be careful!!!

    ReplyDelete