Thursday, March 11, 2010

Elderberry Syrup

1/2 C. Dry Elderberries
1 Cinnamon Stick
4 Whole Cloves
1 Grated Ginger
2 C. Water
Stir together in sauce pan. Bring to boil and let simmer over medium heat, until water is half gone. About 30 min.
Then strain and add 1 C. Pure Honey, stir thoroughly. And store in the fridge. (I should add, that I have never added the ginger, as I'm not sure my boys would like that flavor.) Photo Credit

I love this very simple immune boosting syrup. This past winter we have seen very few colds and only one bout of a flu bug. And that bug, I'm pretty sure was the H1N1 virus, as a lot of friends and family around here had it. Jevan had it the worse, Collin never really got it, except for a day of saying he didn't feel so great. And Rylen a touch of fever.

We've had a minimum of colds. And I give the credit to giving my boys this 'Elderberry Syrup'. I don't give it to Rylen, because there is honey in it.

It is very easy to make and store. I just keep it in a glass jar in my fridge. So far it's never went bad on me. And it's been in there close to two months now.
Photo Credit
I give them a teaspoon roughly every other day. But if I know we are going somewhere 'germy'-shopping, out to eat, social crowds, ect, I'll boost them with more that day. Also, if I hear of a flu bug going around, I'll give it every day. And for myself, I take a tablespoon when I feel I need to boost my immune system.

We LOVE this stuff, not only does it taste good, but it is good for you too!! And we are all much happier without being sick so often!!
Linked to-
-Things I Love Thursday
-Just for the Joy of it

For Printer Friendly Version click HERE.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great recipe to keep on hand! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so good, I can totally see how it would keep everyone healthy... I'm definitely going to try this one! thanks for sharing the tips (and the JOY that goes along with it!)

    ReplyDelete