Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dilly Beans

Are you tired of canning Green Beans yet?? Or freezing them, as I do?? Are you up for trying something new?? Here is a favorite way to eat Green Beans around here. Since my Hubby doesn't care for cooked green beans, this is one of two ways he eats them. I'll share the other way next week.

Dilly Beans

2 lbs Green Beans
1/4 C. Canning or pickling Salt
2 1/2 C. Water
2 1/2 C. Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper-divided
4 Cloves Garlic-divided
4 Head Dill or 4 Teaspoon Dill Weed-divided

Trim ends of beans and wash. Place length wise in jars. (I like using pint jars.)  Combine water, salt, & vinegar in sauce pan and bring to boil. In each jar put 1 glove of Garlic, 1/4 tsp cayenne and 1 head of dill. (We don't care for our dilly beans this hot, er, I should say my boys don't. So I only put in about an 1/8 tsp.) Then ladle hot vinegar syrup over the beans. Adjust two-piece caps and process in hot water bath 10 minutes.

Then eat like pickles.

From my 'Ball Blue Book of Preserves'.

Printer Friendly version.

So for some reason Blogger is having problems and not allowing me to upload pictures. If you want to see a couple pics click on the printer version and see them there. I'll upload the pics when it co-operates!! And now I find out the printer version didn't upload the one pic at all and replaced it with a repeat and squashed it. grrrr!!

No comments:

Post a Comment